Monday, November 14, 2005

This is what happens when you're studying electronics and you get bored.

Yep, that's right, it's what you've all been waiting for! Logic gates made in "The Incredible Machine 3".

Note to readers. If you are unsure what a logic gate OR "The Incredible Machine 3" is, you're going to become very confused. If you aren't already.

So, everyone remember TIM, right? The game where you build Rube Goldberg-type machines out of different components... Well, it all started when I wanted to make a machine that would work in a loop and always end up at the same state. I decided it would be nice to have something to count the number of loops, so I started thinking up ways to count. There are many different ways to do it, but I wanted to see if I could make a binary counter. But how? Levers and ropes might work, but would be ungainly and the game seems to dislike having more than a couple of them attached together. I eventually hit on the idea of using lasers (the red ones, specifically), mirrors, and laser switches. AAANYWAYS, before I go on all night, let's just say that I didn't manage to build a counter (it would have been very hard, not only due to the number of parts needed, but because of the limitations imposed by the game). However, I did put together a few logic components that I will share with you now.

We'll start off with the easy ones: an AND gate has to be on only when both input lasers are on. So one of the input lasers is switched to green, and then both are put through a laser collimator - only if the output of that is yellow will the output switch be turned on:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

An OR gate is made even easier by the laser collimator:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Out of the three basic logic gates, NOT is actually the most difficult to build. It is similar to the design of an AND gate, except that the second input laser is always green, and the switch after the collimator is green. This means that when a red laser is fired into it, it shuts off the switch:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

An XOR gate came next, for use in an adder (any reasonable sized adder would have far too many components for the game to run, unfortunately). This one's a bit more complicated, so I'll let you figure out how it works:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And then an attempt at a feedback loop: a simply S-R latch (flip-flop). Unfortunately, TIM3 wasn't meant for logic design, and does not take kindly to feedback loops. However, in theory this would be fully functional:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Of course, to make any sort of feedback circuit useful, you need a clock. And since i was not about to use the old three-inverter method (lest the computer explode), I opted for something a bit more... simple. This is what I came up with - it's about the slowest clock speed I could manage without making something more complex. There is a noticeable gate delay in all of these, so slow is the way to go. Even then, it won't run the flip-flop properly. Either it's still too fast, or the flip-flop just doesn't work due to game limitations. Anyways, here is the humble clock:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

So there you have it. The Incredible Machine 3 is Turing-complete. If it didn't crash for having too many things on the screen, you could build anything you wanted from these logic gates. Feel free to comment on how much of a nerd I am.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

I think a feedback loop can be accomplished through the use of a "stimulator" laser - something that gets everything else in motion. It itself can be turned off afterwards. I think one mission on expert level uses that to great advantage, though I forget if it were a level in TIM3: Contraptions or TIM3: Even More Contraptions.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Barry said...

For great prices and those hard to get items just check us out at http://www.bnbshoppersnetwork.com

8:25 PM  
Blogger William said...

Great blog you have here, I will definitely be back. I have a website that might be of interest to you. It has products at wholesale prices, great place to hang out.
italian charm wholesale

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with

10:34 PM  
Anonymous wholesale product said...

good information

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Outdoor Electronics said...

Hello,
I was out blogging and ran across your blog. From what little time I got to spend on your blog, everything looks good. I will return for future visits.

Best Regards,
http://www.butleroutdoorstore.com

10:24 AM  
Blogger Paul Adams said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you, Blogger, a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
wholesale computer accessories
It covers wholesale computer accessories related contents.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us post comments here, - very cool of you.
I work online with my own home based business website. I have a underwater digital camera blog. It pretty much covers underwater digital camera related stuff.
Check it out if you get the chance. Thanks again!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I was just trying to figure these out myself, xor had me completely stuck. Great stuff :D

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here