Thursday, May 19, 2005

View from the Other Side

For a good portion of my life, I was a student in the public school system. From 1990 to 2000 I attended Brigden Public School, and from 2000 to 2004 I attended L.C.C.V.I. in Petrolia. As I am only 18 years old, this constitutes an amazing 78% of my life so far. So I'm quite used to thinking of myself as a student. The world of teachers was something untouchable; unreachable. But recently I have been thrust into this world. Less than a year after completing high school, I am now working at one. There are students there that are older than me. Retaining my student mindset has given me an interesting perspective on the teacher/student divide. Here are some of my revelations:

-The staff washrooms aren't any nicer than the student washrooms. In fact, they're the very same, only smaller.
-Conversely, the staff room is the the nicest in the school (carpeting? OMG)
-Scantron machines aren't actually big dark unseen monsters that purposely knock marks off your multiple choice test. In fact, they are quite mundane.
-Male teachers (when away from the company of female teachers) will talk about sex even more than the male students.
-It doesn't matter how young you are, you will instinctively call the students "kids" once you start hanging out with teachers.
-Teachers enjoy fire drills and snow days too - possibly even more than students. I quote: "you should see us on fog days. It's like a party in here."
-Teachers also enjoy showing movies to their classes. As a student, you instinctively believe that whatever is fun for you is necessarily not fun for the teacher, but this turns out not to be the case.
-No matter how rebellious a student may seem; from a "higher up" viewpoint they all seem like sheep - note how they may rebel in class, but then go to the office to get in trouble when they are told to.

Crazy stuff, eh? I hope I don't get fired for this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here