Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Computer Existentialism

So I finally got around to training Microsoft Office's voice recognition system. I guess it's one of those things that seems cool until you actually have it. How many times have you seen someone talking to a computer in an old science fiction movie and thought "Whoa! What I wouldn't give to be able to talk to my computer!" And now, it's more of a "meh" reaction. Truth is, it's not all that useful yet, and won't be until it gets closer to 99% accuracy. Until then, its still faster to just type (as I'm doing now).

So after playing around a bit, talking to Word and trying to get it to understand the words that I was saying, I did the natural thing and experimented with playing music into it. For the first song, I figured I should use something where the lyrics are plainly heard, without much actual "music". Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady" seemed to fit the bill nicely - and here's what the voice recognition thing came up with:

The LAN and they can at any time a new time and data and can handle the pan am on an outline of the default along with all he can ignite it, and lived a life-and-white<>>and a date and time the event that anybody can advocate and an event have 88 and an analog and>what the NFL won’t have it, and yet, the nothing but a little evidence, and Atlanta 88 at the hand that have enough but a lot, in a lot on the phone at 8:00 PM on Sunday that he had failed yet left behind the veil dependent at all along that line and only handle if it came with eight am I felt only a need that can lead a little with a handful of any-and-but I can’t open an envelope and Aviv of them can have anything, and you might have been attacked a little debate and ifview the annual event the the the gave the event, and then gave the But you’re there

But it get's more interesting. The next song I tried was "The Anthem" by Good Charlotte. A song which, I gather contains a lot of "the"s and "can"s.

The the at that date, shows the shot The Dow fell by the way the end of the can Can can The the the the can A Can I am I then can’t get at the the If

My next try was "The Grange" by ZZ Top. Note that the word "anthem" actually shows up here, whereas it did not in the previous song.

Two of those without homes and I’ve pitched moved out of his better just to the to handle the phenomenal data what>to assume that little about half of the virtues of adults, if deserved to the and then at an average can and can’t have an aunt Dan and the and the data and did that can and the can may have been an anthem and Canada and they’ve been can and the AM and FM in the anti-and an anti an aunt the end of the can Can I can get can and can’t be an F. If if


For my final experiment, I played "Drops of Jupiter" by Train. In what I think is the strangest one, this is what it transcribed from the entire song:

IfAs stuff If if a half if if if If If If if if if if if If if if if if if if If if

1 Comments:

Blogger Recusant said...

Man, that's awesome! You literally did have me LOLing!

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here